We are currently moving from our legacy build server to Jenkins.
In our previous system, we had the following system:
- You don't directly build a release version, but you build a "BETA".
- After you are satisfied with the result, you can promote the "BETA" to "RELEASE".
- For that, you click on the build (the actual pipeline run) and click on a button "BETA to RELEASE".
- This button triggers a script to do the actual promotion (the actual steps are irrelevant for this question).
For Jenkins, I haven't found something like that yet. To be precise: I would like to choose one of the successful builds and then click on some kind of button to promote the results of that build to RELEASE. So even if I have build 1.2.0-BETA, 1.2.1-BETA and 1.2.2-BETA, I can choose 1.2.1-BETA and release it to 1.2.1.
What would be a good approach for this?