I am trying to figure out how to write a simple regex that would highlight newline characters only if they appear at the beginning or end of some data while preserving the newline.
In the below example, line 1 and line 14 both are new lines. Those are the only two lines I am trying to highlight as they appear at the beginning and end of the data.
import regex as re
from colorama import Fore, Back
def red(s):
return Back.RED + s + Back.RESET
with open('/tmp/1.py', 'r') as f:
data = f.read()
print(
re.sub(r'(^\n|\n$)', red(r'\1'), data)
)
In the open expression, data is the same content as the example posted above.
In the above example, this is the result I am getting:
As one can see, the red highlight is missing on line 1 and is spanning all the way in line 14. What I would like is for the color to appear only once per new line character.


