I am trying to get the world position of a pixel inside a fragmented shader.
Let me explain. I have followed a tutorial for a fragmented shader that let's me paint on objects. Right now it works through texture coordinates but I want it to work through pixel's world position. So when I click on a 3D model to be able to compare the Vector3 position (where the click happended) to the pixel Vector3 position and if the distance is small enough to lerp the color.
This is the setup I have. I created a new 3D project just for making the shader with the intent to export it later into my main project. In the scene I have the default main camera, directional light, a object with a script that shows me the fps and a default 3D cube with a mesh collider. I created a new material and a new Standard Surface Shader and added it to the cube. After that I assigned the next C# script to the cube with the shader and a camera reference.
Update: The problem right now is that the blit doesn't work as expected. If you change the shader script as how Kalle said, remove the blit from the c# script and change the shader from the 3D model material to be the Draw shader, it will work as expected, but without any lighting. For my purposes I had to change distance(_Mouse.xyz, i.worldPos.xyz); to distance(_Mouse.xz, i.worldPos.xz); so it will paint a all the way through the other side. For debugging I created a RenderTexture and every frame I am using Blit to update the texture and see what is going on. The render texture does not hold the right position as the object is colored. The 3D model I have has lot of geometry and as the paint goes to the other side it should be all over the place on the render texture...but right now it is just on line from the top to the bottom of the texture. Also I try to paint on the bottom half of the object and the render texture doesn't show anything. Only when I paint on the top half I can see red lines (the default painting color).
If you want you can download the sample project here.
This is the code I am using.
Draw.shader
Shader "Unlit/Draw"
{
Properties
{
_MainTex ("Texture", 2D) = "white" {}
_Coordinate("Coordinate",Vector)=(0,0,0,0)
_Color("Paint Color",Color)=(1,1,1,1)
}
SubShader
{
Tags { "RenderType"="Opaque" }
LOD 100
Pass
{
CGPROGRAM
#pragma vertex vert
#pragma fragment frag
#include "UnityCG.cginc"
struct appdata
{
float4 vertex : POSITION;
float2 uv : TEXCOORD0;
};
struct v2f
{
float2 uv : TEXCOORD0;
float4 vertex : SV_POSITION;
};
sampler2D _MainTex;
float4 _MainTex_ST;
fixed4 _Coordinate,_Color;
v2f vert (appdata v)
{
v2f o;
o.vertex = UnityObjectToClipPos(v.vertex);
o.uv = TRANSFORM_TEX(v.uv, _MainTex);
return o;
}
fixed4 frag (v2f i) : SV_Target
{
// sample the texture
fixed4 col = tex2D(_MainTex, i.uv);
float draw =pow(saturate(1-distance(i.uv,_Coordinate.xy)),100);
fixed4 drawcol = _Color * (draw * 1);
return saturate(col + drawcol);
}
ENDCG
}
}
}
Draw.cs
using System.Collections;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;
public class Draw : MonoBehaviour
{
public Camera cam;
public Shader paintShader;
RenderTexture splatMap;
Material snowMaterial,drawMaterial;
RaycastHit hit;
private void Awake()
{
Application.targetFrameRate = 200;
}
void Start()
{
drawMaterial = new Material(paintShader);
drawMaterial.SetVector("_Color", Color.red);
snowMaterial = GetComponent<MeshRenderer>().material;
splatMap = new RenderTexture(1024, 1024, 0, RenderTextureFormat.ARGBFloat);
snowMaterial.mainTexture = splatMap;
}
void Update()
{
if (Input.GetMouseButton(0))
{
if(Physics.Raycast(cam.ScreenPointToRay(Input.mousePosition),out hit))
{
drawMaterial.SetVector("_Coordinate", new Vector4(hit.textureCoord.x, hit.textureCoord.y, 0, 0));
RenderTexture temp = RenderTexture.GetTemporary(splatMap.width, splatMap.height, 0, RenderTextureFormat.ARGBFloat);
Graphics.Blit(splatMap, temp);
Graphics.Blit(temp, splatMap, drawMaterial);
RenderTexture.ReleaseTemporary(temp);
}
}
}
}
As for what I have tried to solve the problem is this. I searched on google about the problem this thread is about and tried to implement it in my project. I have also found some projects that have the feature I need like this one Mesh Texuture Painting. This one works exactly how I need it, but it doesn't work on iOS. The 3D object is turns to black. You can check out a previous postI made to solve the problem and also talked with the creator on twitter but he can't help me. Also I have tried this asset that works ok but in my main project runs with very little fps, it's hard for me to customize it for my needs and it doesn't paint on the edges of my 3D model.
The shader that works well, is simple enough so I can change it and get the desired effect is the one above.
Thank you!