I have a lot of points generated from satellite images, and I want to find where the points are (states). I searched for some links and got a clue that I should use sf::st_intersects, but it turns out not to work. Here is a minimal example:
library(sf)
library(ggplot2)
library(dplyr)
# Contiguous US state boundaries
usa = st_as_sf(maps::map("state", fill = TRUE, plot = FALSE))
# Simulate some random points
pts = data.frame(
x = c(-91.6, -74.3, -101.5),
y = c(36.1, 42.1, 25.3)
) %>%
st_as_sf(coords=c("x", "y"), crs = 4326)
ggplot() +
geom_sf(data = usa, fill = NA) +
geom_sf(data = pts,
shape = 21, size = 4, fill = "red") +
coord_sf(crs = st_crs(102003)) +
theme_minimal()
Here is the resultant figure:
What I want to have is the pts data.frame with one more row indicating the state of the points:
geometry state
1 POINT (-91.6 36.1) arkansas
2 POINT (-74.3 42.1) new york
3 POINT (-101.5 25.3) NA
I know I should show sf::st_transform, but did not succeed in doing that. Ideally I want the intersect to be scalable since I have more than 1,000,000,000 points.
Thank you!