Is there a meaning of in names of AWS instance type prefixes? or it just random?

Viewed 300

You will find these prefixes in aws documentation over various instances types: 'a', 'm', 't', 'r', 'c', 'u', 'x', 'd', 'i', 'f', 'g'.

I can only assume

  C stands for Compute
  R stands for RAM 
  G stands for GPU or Graphics
  I stands for I/O 
  M stands for medium??

I wonder if other prefixes have some kind of meaning too.

1 Answers

Here is what I gathered a bit back from ACloudGuru cert training, these may change or remove in the future as AWS changes them. Probably a few more that I'm missing.

D for density
R for RAM
M for main choice for general purpose apps
C for compute
G for Graphics
I for IOPs
F for FPGA
T for cheap general purpose (think t2 micro)
P for graphic (think pics)
X for extreme memory
H for High disk throughput
A for arm base processor instance
Related