I'm trying to create a comments section that lets users @someone. When the user types @random and then space, I want it to be highlighted. So I've created something that searches and replaces the string, but I then when the html is replaced, it places the cursor at the beginning. Any way to solve this? Any other way of doing something like this?
$('#textarea').keyup(function() {
txt = this.innerText.split(" ")
new_txt = this.innerText
for (var i = txt.length - 1; i >= 0; i--) {
if (txt[i].startsWith('@') == false) {
delete txt[i]
}
}
txt = txt.sort().join(" ").trim().split(" ")
console.log(txt)
if (txt.length > 0 && txt[0] != "") {
for (var i = 0; i < txt.length; i++) {
new_txt = new_txt.replace(txt[i], '<mark>' + txt[i] + '</mark>')
}
$('#my_console_log').text(new_txt)
this.innerHTML = new_txt
}
});
pre {
border: solid black 1px;
}
mark {
background: blue;
color: red;
}
<script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.10.2.js"></script>
<title>Test page</title>
<form>
<pre id='textarea' contentEditable='true'></pre>
<div id="my_console_log"></div>
</form>