How do I create a group of environment variables that can be used both locally in development and on Heroku using Rails 6?
How do I create a group of environment variables that can be used both locally in development and on Heroku using Rails 6?
There are many different ways to configure environment variables, and people have many different preferences.
Personally, for my local development, I typically use the dotenv gem. I'll git-ignore .env, but I'll add a .env.example with all the vars I need stubbed out.
Then in my local checkout(s), I'll cp .env.example .env, and I will edit that .env file for all of my local configuration.
dotenv-rails includes a railtie to load environment variables from the .env file if they have not already been supplied as real env vars.
When I deploy to Heroku, I just use the Heroku console or GUI to set up my environment variables there.