I have site where editors may use a [display_phone] shortcode to insert a phone number into text. The number varies based on cookies the viewer may have; we make an AJAX call to get the desired number.
I'm trying to replicate this on an AMP page. I've done it successfully with an amp-list element, however, that's a block element. I want an inline element that will inherit font size and other styles from its parent. I tried forcing the amp-list to inline or inline-block, but it applies styles to elements inside its template that can't be overridden.
I looked into using other elements for display and using amp-state as a data source, but amp-bind doesn't run without user input, and I need this phone number to show before any input. I could conceivably create an amp-list for every block-level section where an editor could insert the shortcode, but that seems like a bad idea.
Does anyone have any better ideas?