In my App the user is able to save images from a pciture gallery to the local device by clicking on a DL Button.
The Code does work on old devices but on API 29 it has the following behaviour: While saving I tried to open the Gallery to have a look what happens: the gallery gets updated and for 1 second an empty images appears and disappears immediately after. I get noticed, that the image got saved but it doesn't appear, not even in the device explorer.
//DEXTER HERE
Picasso.get().load(dummyimage.getLarge()).placeholder(R.drawable.ic_img_error).error(R.drawable.ic_red).into(saveImageToDirectory);
final Target saveImageToDirectory = new Target() {
@Override
public void onBitmapLoaded(Bitmap bitmap, Picasso.LoadedFrom from) {
ProgressDialog mydialog = new ProgressDialog(getActivity());
mydialog.setMessage("saving Image to phone");
mydialog.show();
StrictMode.VmPolicy.Builder builder = new StrictMode.VmPolicy.Builder();
StrictMode.setVmPolicy(builder.build());
try {
String fileName = "myApp_" + timeStamp + ".JPG";
String dirName= "/myApp";
File file = new File(requireActivity().getApplicationContext().getExternalFilesDir(null).getAbsolutePath() + dirName, fileName);
//new File(path for the file to be saved, saving file name)
if (!file.exists()) {
//check if the file already exist or if not create a new file
//if exist the file will be overwritten with the new image
File filedirectory = new File(requireActivity().getApplicationContext().getExternalFilesDir(null).getAbsolutePath() + dirName);
filedirectory.mkdirs();
}
if (file.exists()) {
file.delete();
}
FileOutputStream ostream = new FileOutputStream(file);
bitmap.compress(Bitmap.CompressFormat.JPEG, 100, ostream);
Toast.makeText(getActivity(), "Picture saved to Gallery" + file.getAbsolutePath(), Toast.LENGTH_SHORT).show();
ostream.close();
mydialog.dismiss();
ContentValues values = new ContentValues();
values.put(MediaStore.Images.Media.TITLE, "My Images");
values.put(MediaStore.MediaColumns.MIME_TYPE, "image/jpeg");
values.put(MediaStore.MediaColumns.RELATIVE_PATH,"/myApp");
// API LEVEL Q: values.put(MediaStore.Images.Media.DATE_TAKEN, System.currentTimeMillis());
values.put("_data", file.getAbsolutePath());
ContentResolver cr = getActivity().getContentResolver();
cr.insert(MediaStore.Images.Media.EXTERNAL_CONTENT_URI, values);
} catch (Exception e) {
mydialog.dismiss();
Log.e("file creation error", e.toString());
}
}
@Override
public void onBitmapFailed(Exception e, Drawable errorDrawable) {
}
@Override
public void onPrepareLoad(Drawable placeHolderDrawable) {
}
};
As you may see, instead of
File filedirectory = new File(Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory() + dirName);
I'm already using
File filedirectory = new File(requireActivity().getApplicationContext().getExternalFilesDir(null).getAbsolutePath() + dirName);
I hope this shouldn't be the problem, but I'm a little stuck on this strange behaviour.
This is the error I'm getting out of my Logcat:
E/file creation error: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Primary directory (invalid) not allowed for content://media/external/images/media; allowed directories are [DCIM, Pictures]
PS: I'm using Dexter to avoid problems with the permissions