We have a large project which will have a large number of distinct data sources/microservices -- some of these will be REST API, some GraphQL. We want to make an intermediary layer between those data sources and our final client, which will be NextJS/React/Apollo Client. Apollo Server seems a good choice for this -- receive data from the different data sources/microservices and make a unified GraphQL API that the Apollo Client front end will consume. Similarly, when we need to post data from the front end, provide a GraphQL interface which will either post REST API or GraphQL to the data sources.
The one thing I'm having trouble with is understanding how to fetch and post data from Apollo Server when the original data source/microservice has a GraphQL API. I looked through the Apollo Server documentation for fetching data and don't see what I'm looking for -- perhaps I'm missing it.
How would one do that if Apollo Server doesn't provide the API to actually fetch GraphQL data? Use Apollo Client in the Apollo Server?
I'm sure I'm missing the blindingly obvious, and would appreciate any clues!