In my web app I obtain a MediaStream either via getUserMedia or getDisplayMedia. In certain situations, the video track of that stream can change its size. For example, if getDisplayMedia tracks a specific window, that window can change size. Or on a mobile device, when switching from landscape into portrait mode, the camera image will be rotated by 90° (i.e. width and height get swapped).
I know how to get the dimensions of the MediaStream (as described here). I now want to get notified whenever the dimensions change. A callback/event of some sorts.
I already tried MediaStream.onaddtrack (guessing that maybe the track is removed and readded with a different size) and I also tried using a MutationObserver on the <video> element I am showing the stream in. None of these worked. I also checked MDN for other events that might help me, but I didn't find any promising ones.
Is there a way to subscribe to changes of a video track's dimension? A function of mine should be called each time the dimensions change. And if it's not possible and I would need to busy poll: is there a smart way how to make the polling a bit less busy?