I am evaluating Mikro-Orm for a future project. There are several questions I either could not find an answer in the docs or did not fully understand them.
Let me describe a minimal complex example (NestJS): I have an order processing system with two entities: Orders and Invoices as well as a counter table for sequential invoice numbers (legal requirement). It's important to mention, that the OrderService create method is not always called by a controller, but also via crobjob/queue system. My questions is about the use case of creating a new order:
class OrderService {
async createNewOrder(orderDto) {
const order = new Order();
order.customer = orderDto.customer;
order.items = orderDto.items;
const invoice = await this.InvoiceService.createInvoice(orderDto.items);
order.invoice = invoice;
await order.persistAndFlush();
return order
}
}
class InvoiceService {
async create(items): Invoice {
const invoice = new Invoice();
invoice.number = await this.InvoiceNumberService.getNextInSequence();
// the next two lines are external apis, if they throw, the whole transaction should roll back
const pdf = await this.PdfCreator.createPdf(invoice);
const upload = await s3Api.uplpad(pdf);
return invoice;
}
}
class InvoiceNumberService {
async getNextInSequence(): number {
return await db.collection("counter").findOneAndUpdate({ type: "INVOICE" }, { $inc: { value: 1 } });
}
}
The whole use case of creating a new order with all subsequent service calls should happen in one Mikro-Orm transaction. So if anything throws in OrderService.createNewOrder() or one one of the subsequently called methods, the whole transaction should be rolled back.
Mikro-Orm does not allow the atomic update-increment shown in InvoiceNumberService. I can fall back to the native mongo driver. But how do I ensure the call to collection.findOneAndUpdate() shares the same transaction as the entities managed by Mikro-Orm?
Mikro-Orm needs a unique request context. In the examples for NestJS, this unique context is created at the controller level. In the example above the service methods are not necessarily called by a controller. So I would need a new context for each call to OrderService.createNewOrder() that has a lifetime scoped to the function call, correct? How can I acheive this?
How can I share the same request context between services? In the example above InvoiceService and InvoiceNumberService would need the same context as OrderService for Mikro-Orm to work properly.