Convert bookmark folder names to tags in Firefox bookmarks JSON export

Viewed 277

I used to use Google Chrome bookmarks for a very long time, heavily utilizing its tagging. Now I would like to switch to plain Firefox bookmarking. I exported my bookmarks from chrome://bookmarks (HTML export) and imported them in Firefox. So far so good. But sadly what was a tag in Chrome is a bookmark folder in Firefox now! I ended with many hundreds of bookmark folders and thousands of duplicates across them and, of course, no tags at all.

Firefox can export bookmarks as JSON so I managed to find a way to restructure the JSON export so that after importing what is the Firefox bookmark folder will be bookmark tag again. I tried some ways to do so using jq(1) but failed completely while I have to cope with levels of nesting in the bookmarks JSON export I do not know how to cope with yet (yes, I am completely new to jq(1)).

Deduplication of bookmarks can (hopefuly) be done using some of the Firefox addons for the task. Therefore all what I need now is to convert bookmark folder paths in bookmark JSON export to bookmark tags.

Of course, if "deduplication" (by concatening the bookmark folders as tags for every single URL) was possible, it would be fine too. If jq(1) is not the right tool for such a task any other solution is welcome of course. It is just "single shot" task for me but may be very useful to anybody who would like to migrate their bookmarks from Chrome bookmarks to Firefox.

0 Answers
Related