Say I have two numbers, a and bsuch that
1 <= a, b <= 10**9
How can I quickly check which is greater: a^b or b^a? Calculating a**b directly in Python is too slow.
Say I have two numbers, a and bsuch that
1 <= a, b <= 10**9
How can I quickly check which is greater: a^b or b^a? Calculating a**b directly in Python is too slow.
This is more of a mathematical question than a Python related question, but you can use math.log to find the b * math.log(a) and a * math.log(b) and compare them.
import math
a = 10
b = 9
if b * math.log(a) > a * math.log(b):
print("a^b is greater than b^a")
else if b * math.log(a)< a * math.log(b):
print("a^b is smaller than b^a")
If a,b > e then you can only compare a,b:
Consider:
f(x) = x/ln x:
Then:
f'(x) = (ln(x)-1) / ln(x)^2 which is positive for x>e: so f is increasing for x>e.
Now if a,b>e:
if a>b <=> f(a) > f(b) <=> alog(b) > blog(a)
Same for a<b.