yum installs 'provides' package before actual 'required' package

Viewed 67

I have a yum repo which contains the rpm packages A - F.

  • Package A requires package B
  • Package B conflicts with packages E-F
  • Package C provides package B and requires D-F

When I do a 'yum install -y A' on a clean system, I'm expecting package A to be installed and to require package B to be installed, but package C-F are installed instead.

Why? Does a "Provides:" out rank a "Required:"? What is the hierarchy or decision flow when doing a yum install?

1 Answers

For rpm there is no distinction between a "real" and a "virtual" provides. For rpm, these are the same:

  • package C providing B
  • package B

So yum handles your request something like this:

  • you want to install package A
  • package A requires B
  • yum finds the first package that fulfills this requirement (bad luck, C in your case)
Related