I have a tornado webservice which is going to serve something around 500 requests per minute. All these requests are going to hit 1 specific endpoint. There is a C++ program that I have compiled using Cython and use it inside the tornado service as my processor engine. Each request that goes to /check/ will trigger a function call in the C++ program (I will call it handler) and the return value will get sent to user as response.
This is how I wrap the handler class. One important point is that I do not instantiate the handler in __init__. There is another route in my tornado code that I want to start loading the DataStructure after an authroized request hits that route. (e.g. /reload/)
executors = ThreadPoolExecutor(max_workers=4)
class CheckerInstance(object):
def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
self.handler = None
self.is_loading = False
self.is_live = False
def init(self):
if not self.handler:
self.handler = pDataStructureHandler()
self.handler.add_words_from_file(self.data_file_name)
self.end_loading()
self.go_live()
def renew(self):
self.handler = None
self.init()
class CheckHandler(tornado.web.RequestHandler):
async def get(self):
query = self.get_argument("q", None).encode('utf-8')
answer = query
if not checker_instance.is_live:
self.write(dict(answer=self.get_argument("q", None), confidence=100))
return
checker_response = await checker_instance.get_response(query)
answer = checker_response[0]
confidence = checker_response[1]
if self.request.connection.stream.closed():
return
self.write(dict(correct=answer, confidence=confidence, is_cache=is_cache))
def on_connection_close(self):
self.wait_future.cancel()
class InstanceReloadHandler(BasicAuthMixin, tornado.web.RequestHandler):
def prepare(self):
self.get_authenticated_user(check_credentials_func=credentials.get, realm='Protected')
def new_file_exists(self):
return True
def can_reload(self):
return not checker_instance.is_loading
def get(self):
error = False
message = None
if not self.can_reload():
error = True
message = 'another job is being processed!'
else:
if not self.new_file_exists():
error = True
message = 'no new file found!'
else:
checker_instance.go_fake()
checker_instance.start_loading()
tornado.ioloop.IOLoop.current().run_in_executor(executors, checker_instance.renew)
message = 'job started!'
if self.request.connection.stream.closed():
return
self.write(dict(
success=not error, message=message
))
def on_connection_close(self):
self.wait_future.cancel()
def main():
app = tornado.web.Application(
[
(r"/", MainHandler),
(r"/check", CheckHandler),
(r"/reload", InstanceReloadHandler),
(r"/health", HealthHandler),
(r"/log-event", SubmitLogHandler),
],
debug=options.debug,
)
checker_instance = CheckerInstance()
I want this service to keep responding after checker_instance.renew starts running in another thread. But this is not what happens. When I hit the /reload/ endpoint and renew function starts working, any request to /check/ halts and waits for the reloading process to finish and then it starts working again. When the DataStructure is being loaded, the service should be in fake mode and respond to people with the same query that they send as input.
I have tested this code in my development environment with an i5 CPU (4 CPU cores) and it works just fine! But in the production environment (3 double-thread CPU cores) the /check/ endpoint halts requests.