The cursor randomly disappears in Eclipse 2019-09 and sometimes stops writing

Viewed 2151

I have a very annoying problem with Eclipse 2019-09 (4.13.0) version: while I'm editing code (often when I copy and paste things or after accepting a code completion suggestion) the cursor (I'm talking about the text cursor: |) disappears completely! I cannot see it anymore, so I'm not able to detect on which part of the line I am! This is very annoying. I found a partial fix by installing the extension 'Vrapper': enabling and disabling it makes the cursor appear again.

Another problem I experience every time I press Ctrl+Space to ask for code completion suggestions, the cursor stops writing. After doing random things like switching tabs or opening new files the cursor starts to write again, but then the keyboard shortcuts stop working and I have to restart the entire IDE.

This behavior is intolerable, so I was wondering whether somebody else has had the same problem and how they have dealt with it.

The configuration of my system is: OS: Debian, using i3wm+compton as a window manager on Xserver.

Thanks in advance.

1 Answers

Dead place, but I'm currently dealing with the same. The weird thing is that it happens on a per-file basis. Eclipse also treats that file as if it was not open, i.e. I can only save it through the 'Save all' method, not Ctrl-S ('Save') as I usually do. It's hellishly annoying, but it usually is fixed by reopening the file in question, and editing other files between the closing and reopening of other files.

If you have a better answer than this that you've found since, please, please post it here. It's annoying as all hell.

Related