I have a Django app in one container, trying to compose it with Redis and Mysql containers. However, calling
redis://redis:6379
from Django app, gives me
ConnectionError: Error -2 connecting redis://redis:6379. Name or service not known.
I do not see any difference in my setup, compare to other working solutions. Do I miss something? My docker-compose.yml
version: '3'
services:
web:
build: .
environment:
- REDIS_HOST=redis
restart: always
command: bash -c "python manage.py runserver --settings=settings.production_cs 0.0.0.0:8000"
container_name: eprofi
volumes:
- .:/eprofi
ports:
- "8000:8000"
depends_on:
- db
- redis
links:
- db:postgres
- redis:redis
db:
image: mysql:latest
command: mysqld --default-authentication-plugin=mysql_native_password
volumes:
- "./mysql:/var/lib/mysql"
ports:
- "3306:3306"
restart: always
environment:
- MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD=secret123
- MYSQL_DATABASE=django_app
- MYSQL_USER=django_app
- MYSQL_PASSWORD=django_app123
redis:
restart: always
image: redis:latest
ports:
- "6379:6379"
My Dockerfile
# We Use an official Python runtime as a parent image
FROM python:2.7.13
ENV DEBIAN_FRONTEND noninteractive
ENV PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE 1
# The enviroment variable ensures that the python output is set straight
# to the terminal with out buffering it first
ENV PYTHONUNBUFFERED 1
# create root directory for our project in the container
RUN mkdir /www
# Set the working directory to /www
WORKDIR /www
#Upgrade pip
RUN pip install pip -U
#Install dependencies
ADD requirements.txt /www/
RUN pip install -r requirements.txt --src /usr/local/src
# Copy the current directory contents into the container at /www
ADD . /www/
Then I do
docker-compose build
docker-compose up
Everything starts as expected, but calling Redis with "redis://redis:6379" gives the above "Name or service not known." error.
My tools
docker-compose version 1.17.1, build unknown
docker-py version: 2.5.1
Client: Docker Engine - Community
Version: 19.03.4
UPDATE 1 How I call Redis from python app (old Django).
Settings of Django app:
CACHES = {
'my_cache': {
'BACKEND': 'redis_cache.RedisCache',
'LOCATION': 'redis://{}:{}'.format(REDIS_HOST, REDIS_PORT),
'KEY_PREFIX': 'project/my_cache',
'TIMEOUT': 60*60*24, # expire in 24 hours
'OPTIONS': {
'DB': 1,
'PARSER_CLASS': 'redis.connection.HiredisParser'
}
},
}
Call:
cache = get_cache('my_cache')
cache.get(cache_key)
UPDATE 2
Command
ping redis
run in the container gives me an error
ping: unknown host
