Is it possible for an Apple Watch app to require compass? (app for Apple Watch Series 5 only)

Viewed 99

I'm building a watchOS companion app for a navigation app. It relies on the compass, which was introduced on Apple Watch Series 5. The app is useless without a compass.

I'm familiar with UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities, but that doesn't seem to offer the ability to require a compass.

Is there a best practice for allowing a companion watchOS app to only be installed on Apple Watch devices with a compass?

My alternative is to try to detect a heading and create a message in the app that says something like Apple Watch with compass required if it's not available. I wouldn't mention the Series 5 specifically for future-proofing against other future model names. This seems clunky, though, and it might be a better experience to prevent someone from even installing the app.

0 Answers
Related