I developing a C# class library in Visual Studio, and I have been making use of XML Documentation Comments primarily for their integration with Intellisense. However, the bulk of comments has become quite cluttered, so now I am endeavoring to use the <include> tag, and an external XML document to reduce the clutter.
My issue is that when using the <include> tag Intellisense seems to not update with the information, not show any of the <summary> and <param> tags that I've assigned to some of my classes and methods.
For Example I could have a class 'Test' documented as shown:
/// <include file="docs.xml" path='extradoc/class[@name="Test"]/*' />
class Test { string foo = "bar"; }
And have docs.xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<extradoc>
<class name="Test">
<summary>
Contains some Foo.
</summary>
</class>
</extradoc>
And upon build the output XML populates correctly:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<doc>
<assembly>
<name>Example Program</name>
</assembly>
<members>
<member name="T:Example_Program.Program.Test">
<summary>
Contains some Foo.
</summary>
</member>
</members>
</doc>
The only issue is that, try as I might, this documentation will not appear in the intellisense boxes while appending my code. Is there some Visual Studio configuration setting I'm missing? I've scoured the msn documentation to no avail.


