I have the following simple component:
const Dashboard = () => {
const [{ data, loading, hasError, errors }] = useApiCall(true)
if (hasError) {
return null
}
return (
<Fragment>
<ActivityFeedTitle>
<ActivityFeed data={data} isLoading={loading} />
</Fragment>
)
}
export default Dashboard
I would like to prevent ALL re-renders of the ActivityFeedTitle component, so that it only renders once, on load. My understanding is that I should be able to use the React.useMemo hook with an empty dependencies array to achieve this. I changed by return to be:
return (
<Fragment>
{React.useMemo(() => <ActivityFeedTitle>, [])}
<ActivityFeed data={data} isLoading={loading} />
</Fragment>
)
As far as I'm concerned, this should prevent all re-renders of that component? However, the ActivityFeedTitle component still re-renders on every render of the Dashboard component.
What am I missing?
EDIT:
Using React.memo still causes the same issue. I tried memoizing my ActivityFeedTitle component as follows:
const Memo = React.memo(() => (
<ActivityFeedTitle />
))
And then used it like this in my return:
return (
<Fragment>
{<Memo />}
<ActivityFeed data={data} isLoading={loading} />
</Fragment>
)
Same problem occurs. I also tried passing in () => false the following as the second argument of React.memo, but that also didn't work.