Is it possible to output word array in Python similar to CryptoJS.enc.Hex.parse(hash)

Viewed 781

Is there a way to convert a hash to a word array in Python as in JS?

In JS with CryptoJS I can use: CryptoJS.enc.Hex.parse(hash) which will output the word array.

I've tried googling it but cannot seem to find how to do that in Python.

Javascript example:

var CryptoJS = require("crypto-js");

var hash = "c8f3ab9777da89748851932d3446b197450bb12fa9b9136ad708734291a6c60c";

console.log(hash);

I cannot figure out how to get similar output with hmac and hashlib libraries in Python but I expect the output something like this:

{ words:
   [ -923554921,
     2010810740,
     -2007919827,
     877048215,
     1158394159,
     -1447488662,
     -687312062,
     -1851341300 ],
  sigBytes: 32 }

Update: I need to have an output in the exact same format (spacing, indents, new lines) to produce a subsequent hash from the output.

1 Answers

You can do this in Python but it's not builtin as part of any crypto library that I am aware of.

A simple implementation (requires Python 3):


hash = "c8f3ab9777da89748851932d3446b197450bb12fa9b9136ad708734291a6c60c"

# Convert hex-encoded data into a byte array
hash_bytes = bytes.fromhex(hash)

# Split bytes into 4-byte chunks (32-bit integers) and convert
# The integers in your example a big-endian, signed integers
hash_ints = [
    int.from_bytes(hash_bytes[i:i+4], "big", signed=True) 
    for i in range(0, len(hash_bytes), 4)
]

# Print result
print({"words": hash_ints, "sigBytes": len(hash_bytes)})

This will output: {'words': [-923554921, 2010810740, -2007919827, 877048215, 1158394159, -1447488662, -687312062, -1851341300], 'sigBytes': 32}

Hope that helps.

Related