After reading several SO posts on the subject I am still confused, mainly concerning to integer and boolean variables/expressions.
A. Integer expressions
Suppose I want to use modulo expression in a floating point computation, what, if any, is the most correct of the following? Is there any difference between C and C++? or should I just trust the compiler to make the correct conversion?
double sign;
int num = rand() % 100;
//want to map odd num to -1.0 and even num to 1.0
//A
sign = -2 * (num % 2) + 1;
//B
sign = -2.0 * (num % 2) + 1;
//C
sign = -2.0 * (num % 2) + 1.0;
//D
sign = -2 * (num % 2) + 1.0;
//E
sign = -2 * (double)(num % 2) + 1;
//F
sign = -2.0 * (double)(num % 2) + 1;
//G
sign = -2.0 * (double)(num % 2) + 1.0;
//H
sign = -2 * (double)(num % 2) + 1.0;
B. Boolean expressions
Can I use a boolean expression, safely, as an element in floating / integer computations without explicit casting? Is there a difference between C and C++?
double d_res = 1.0;
int i_res = 1;
int num = rand() % 10;
d_res = d_res + (num > 5);//or d_res = d_res + (double)(num > 5)?
i_res += (num > 5);//or i_res += (int)(num > 5)?