I have a Dockerfile including e.g. apache, further installations and my code that is copied to /var/www/html to create a project. After I created the image locally, I export it as a .tar file and upload the image to portainer. Portainer is my productive environment. However, everytime when I want to update the Version and the services that are using my software, I have to update the whole new image which has a size of 800MB. Portainer has furthermore multiple managers, which causes that I have to upload it to each manager.
Because everything keeps the same, except my code that is inserted by the copy part COPY HRmAppBare/ /var/www/html, I thought about the idea, If it is possible to create two images. One Image for the whole Installations (let us say: 1.0-BaseInstall) and a second Image (let us say: 1.9-backend) that only stores my code. Then, for each Version update, I only have to upload the image with the new code and can maybe somehow refere to the 1.0-BaseInstall like e.g. From 1.0-BaseInstall. If the BaseInstall changes (which is really rarely), I could just create a new image for that.
Because I could not find anything about that, I want to know, if this approach is applicable and if yes, how I have to build this?
#start with base Image from php
FROM php:7.3-apache
#install system dependencies and enable PHP modules
RUN apt-get update && apt-get install -y \
libicu-dev \
vim \
cron \
libpq-dev \
libmcrypt-dev \
default-mysql-client \
zip \
unzip \
libzip-dev \
&& docker-php-ext-configure zip --with-libzip \
&& docker-php-ext-install zip \
&& rm -r /var/lib/apt/lists/* \
&& docker-php-ext-configure pdo_mysql --with-pdo-mysql=mysqlnd \
&& docker-php-ext-install \
intl \
mbstring \
pcntl \
pdo_mysql \
opcache \
gettext \
&& pecl install mcrypt-1.0.2 \
&& docker-php-ext-enable mcrypt \
&& rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
#configure imap for mails
RUN apt-get update && \
apt-get install -y \
libc-client-dev libkrb5-dev && \
rm -r /var/lib/apt/lists/*
RUN docker-php-ext-configure imap --with-kerberos --with-imap-ssl && \
docker-php-ext-install -j$(nproc) imap
#install composer
#RUN curl -sS https://getcomposer.org/installer | php -- --install-dir=/usr/bin/ --filename=composer
#change uid and gid of apache to docker user uid/gid, enable apache module rewrite
RUN usermod -u 1000 www-data && groupmod -g 1000 www-data && a2enmod rewrite
#copy the source code (Can this be in a 2nd image?)
COPY HRmAppBare/ /var/www/html
#Update apache2.conf
RUN echo 'Alias ${COOKIE_PATH} "/var/www/html"' >> /etc/apache2/apache2.conf
RUN echo 'Alias ${COOKIE_PATH}/ "/var/www/html/"' >> /etc/apache2/apache2.conf
#change ownership of our applications
RUN chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/html/
ENTRYPOINT [ "sh", "-c", "rm /var/www/html/app/tmp/cache/models/* && rm /var/www/html/app/tmp/cache/persistent/* && /var/www/html/app/Console/cake schema update -y && apache2-foreground"]
EXPOSE 80