I'd like to understand when to use throw and return Future.error in async functions. Are there any underlying differences that we should take in consideration when choosing one or the other?
I did a small test:
Future testFuture() async {
return Future.error('error from future');
}
void testThrow() {
throw('error from throw');
}
Future testFutureThrow() async {
throw('error from future throw');
}
main() async {
print('will run test');
try{
await testFuture();
}
catch(e){
print(e);
}
try{
testThrow();
}
catch(e){
print(e);
}
try{
await testFutureThrow();
}
catch(e){
print(e);
}
testFuture().catchError((e) => print(e));
testFutureThrow().catchError((e) => print(e));
print('did run test');
}
They both seem to work in the same way. This is the output:
will run test
error from future
error from throw
error from future throw
did run test
error from future
error from future throw
What we can see from this test is that, from the point of view of the caller, when call the function using try/catch the code runs synchronous and if we Future.catchError it's asynchronous. But from the point of view of the function flow it appears to be the same.
NOTE: I had this initially as a response to a question. But then I realised that I was not answering but instead doing a question.