What are the ways or technologies to sign an executable application file in mac os x environment?

Viewed 2756

I want to use self signed certificate to do signing of mac os executable like .app file or .ipa file for development purpose. I am not intending to publish the signed app in ios or mac app store. I want to develop this as a tool. So what are the options available?

I do not want to use "Xcode’s automatic code signing" as it is out of my development scope.

1 Answers

First you will need to generate your own certificate.


  1. open -a "Keychain Access"
  2. (MENU) Certificate Assistant > Create a Certificate
  3. Enter the Name (for example my-codesign-cert)
  4. Identity Type > Self Signed Root
  5. Certificate Type > Code Signing
  6. Check "Let me override defaults" & click Continue.
  7. Enter a unique Serial Number.
  8. Enter a big Validity Period (days), like 3560 & click Continue.
  9. Fill in your personal information & click Continue.
  10. Accept defaults for the rest of the dialog boxes.

Codesign your items


codesign -s my-codesign-cert /path/to/my/binary_executable


Self-generated code sign certificates should be used for internal development only.

Do not release thusly signed items into the wild.

Related