I'm trying to build a simple Swift project on NixOS. Here are the steps to reproduce:
git clone https://github.com/PerfectlySoft/PerfectTemplate.git
cd PerfectTemplate
touch shell.nix
Add shell.nix with following contents:
with import <nixpkgs> {};
stdenv.mkDerivation {
name = "swift-env";
buildInputs = [
openssl
stdenv
binutils
cmake
pkgconfig
curl
glibc
icu
libblocksruntime
libbsd
libedit
libuuid
libxml2
ncurses
sqlite
swig
];
}
Running nix-shell --pure shell.nix and from there swift build, gives me:
gcc: error: x86_64-unknown-linux: No such file or directory
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-target’
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fblocks’
gcc: error: x86_64-unknown-linux: No such file or directory
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fmodules’; did you mean ‘-fmudflap’?
gcc: error: x86_64-unknown-linux: No such file or directory
gcc: error: x86_64-unknown-linux: No such file or directory
gcc: error: x86_64-unknown-linux: No such file or directory
gcc: error: x86_64-unknown-linux: No such file or directory
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-target’
gcc: error: x86_64-unknown-linux: No such file or directory
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fblocks’
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-target’
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-target’
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-target’
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fblocks’
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fmodules’; did you mean ‘-fmudflap’?
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fblocks’
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fblocks’
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fmodules’; did you mean ‘-fmudflap’?
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-target’
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fmodules’; did you mean ‘-fmudflap’?
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fmodules’; did you mean ‘-fmudflap’?
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fblocks’
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-target’
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fmodule-name=PerfectCZlib’
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fmodules’; did you mean ‘-fmudflap’?
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fmodules-cache-path=/home/dmi3y/Dev/Swift/PerfectTemplate/.build/x86_64-unknown-linux/debug/ModuleCache’
gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fblocks’
I'd appreciate any help with this as I'm pretty much new to nix-shell and NixOS.
EDIT:
I changed my shell.nix to this:
{ pkgs ? import <nixpkgs> {} }:
pkgs.mkShell {
name = "swift-env";
buildInputs = with pkgs; [
openssl
clang
swift
];
shellHook = ''
CC=clang
'';
}
However, when I run nix-shell followed by swift build, I'm now getting:
[1/25] Compiling PerfectCZlib zutil.c
[2/25] Compiling PerfectCZlib uncompr.c
[3/25] Compiling PerfectCZlib inftrees.c
[4/25] Compiling PerfectCZlib inflate.c
[5/25] Compiling PerfectCZlib trees.c
[6/25] Compiling PerfectCZlib inffast.c
[7/25] Compiling PerfectCZlib infback.c
[8/25] Compiling PerfectCZlib gzwrite.c
/nix/store/iz6k7x3l14ykr56crz3dizas1rrkcyzr-clang-wrapper-7.1.0/resource-root/include/module.modulemap:24:8: error: redefinition of module '_Builtin_intrinsics'
# warning _FORTIFY_SOURCE requires compiling with optimization (-O)
^
1 warning and 3 errors generated.
1 warning and 3 errors generated.
Full log can be found here.
This is now looks like a missing library dependency or a version conflict.
For the record, here's additional information about my setup that might shed more light:
$ nix-channel --list
home-manager https://github.com/rycee/home-manager/archive/master.tar.gz
nixos https://nixos.org/channels/nixos-19.09
$ nix-shell --run 'swift -version'
Swift version 5.0.2 (swift-5.0.2-RELEASE)
Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnub
After searching the web I found a Jira issue for Swift compiler and this specific comment. I decided to exclude clang from dependencies and only include swift, since this combination seem to be conflicting:
{ pkgs ? import <nixpkgs> {} }:
pkgs.mkShell {
name = "swift-env";
buildInputs = with pkgs; [
openssl
swift
];
shellHook = ''
CC=clang
'';
}
And that worked! I was finally able to build the project!