Note: How this situation came to be is more of a tale that anything and not really relevant IMO.
Given the following git commit graph, starting from oldest, all pushed to origin
start
|
breaking
/ \
fix #0 work
| |
fix #1(master) morework(issue-fix)
I need to move my branch (issue-fix) to be based on start, rather than breaking, that is turn it into
start
/ \
breaking |
| |
fix #0 work
| |
fix #1(master) morework(issue-fix)
The changes in breaking are unrelated to the issue fix (different part of project), hovever they cause the CI to fail for that branch, as the testing covers that part of the project as well.
I assumed a rebase would work, but after checking out morework, attempting it in SourceTree did nothing, manually running git rebase start just prints Current branch issue-fix is up to date
Is there a clean and effiecient way of doing this? I don't want to make a new branch and move everything over manually if I don't have to.
EDIT: Also, issue-fix has been pulled into another branch, thereby introducing the wrong commits there as well. Will the same process work there, or will doing it on issue-fix break that branch?