All known prior macOS versions were working with this sort of script context:
osascript -e "/path/to/my/app.command" with administrator privileges
Now it just silently fails...after asking for admin password. The command file is what was originally used to launch the app, and the app has a button to re-launch with privileges...and the prior non privileged app closes.
If I remove the "with administrator privileges", it re-launches. if that is there, it does not.
If I try using:
/usr/bin/security execute-with-privileges /path/to/my/app.command
It also fails...never even shows password prompt.
I tried also "sudo open /Applications/myApp.app" but that of course doesn't actually launch with privileges.
From a shell i can sudo launch my app, and that is fine, but I can't expect an average user to be able to do sudo in a shell.
As I said, this had been a nice method that has worked for probably the past 6 to 8 years...but now fails. Anyone have any tricks or ways to get around it?
At one time....and I have no idea why, I saw the OSX security popup indicating "java" is not a trusted app and my settings only allow app store apps. But that only happened once...and it was strange. I clicked OK, it disappeared. I thought maybe java had been quarantined, so I did the command to clear that flag:
xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /path/to/the/binary/java
But that made no difference. I'm sure this is new security features in Catalina making things difficult...but I can't figure out why or how to work through them. Its a java app that is launched via the app.command file which finds java on the machine and then launches it...defaulting to finding a local copy in its own subfolder.