I have a struct returned to C code from Rust. I have no idea if it's a good way to do things, but it does work for rebuilding the struct and freeing memory without leaks.
#[repr(C)]
pub struct s {
// ...
}
#[repr(C)]
#[allow(clippy::box_vec)]
pub struct s_arr {
arr: *const s,
n: i8,
vec: Box<Vec<s>>,
}
/// Frees memory that was returned to C code
pub unsafe extern "C" fn free_s_arr(a: *mut s_arr) {
Box::from_raw(s_arr);
}
/// Generates an array for the C code
pub unsafe extern "C" fn gen_s_arr() -> *mut s_arr {
let many_s: Vec<s> = Vec::new();
// ... logic here
Box::into_raw(Box::new(s_arr {
arr: many_s.as_mut_ptr(),
n: many_s.len() as i8,
vec: many_s,
}))
}
The C header is currently written by hand, but I wanted to try out cbindgen. The manual C definition for s_arr is:
struct s_arr {
struct s *arr;
int8_t n;
void *_;
};
cbindgen generates the following for s_arr:
typedef struct Box_Vec_s Box_Vec_s;
typedef struct s_arr {
const s *arr;
int8_t n;
Box_Vec_s vec;
} s_arr;
This doesn't work since struct Box_Vec_s is not defined. Ideally I would just want to override the cbindgen type generated for vec to make it void * since it requires no code changes and thus no additional testing, but I am open to other suggestions.
I have looked through the cbindgen documentation, though not the examples, and couldn't find anything.