I'm trying to create a GeoDataFrame with 2 zip codes per row, whose distances from each other I want to compare. I took a list of approx 220 zip codes and ran an itertools combination on them to get all combo's, then unpacked the tuples into two columns
code_combo = list(itertools.combinations(df_with_all_zip_codes['code'], 2))
df_distance_ctr = pd.DataFrame(code_combo, columns=['first_code','second_code'])
Then I did some standard pandas merges and column renaming to get the polygon/geometry column from the original geodataframe into this new one, right beside the respective zip code columns. The problem is I can't seem to get the polygon columns to be read as geometry, even after 1.) attempting to convert the dataframe to a geodataframe - AttributeError: No geometry data set yet, 2.) applying wkt.loads to the geometry column - AttributeError: 'MultiPolygon' object has no attribute 'encode' . I've tried to look for a way to convert a series to a geoseries but can't find anything on SO nor the documentation. Can anyone please point out where I'm likely going wrong?