I have an async iterator method that produces an IAsyncEnumerable<int> (a stream of numbers), one number every 200 msec. The caller of this method consumes the stream, but wants to stop the enumeration after 1000 msec. So a CancellationTokenSource is used, and the token is passed as
an argument to the WithCancellation extension method. But the token is not respected. The enumeration continues until all the numbers are consumed:
static async IAsyncEnumerable<int> GetSequence()
{
for (int i = 1; i <= 10; i++)
{
await Task.Delay(200);
yield return i;
}
}
var cts = new CancellationTokenSource(1000);
await foreach (var i in GetSequence().WithCancellation(cts.Token))
{
Console.WriteLine($"{DateTime.Now:HH:mm:ss.fff} > {i}");
}
Output:
12:55:17.506 > 1
12:55:17.739 > 2
12:55:17.941 > 3
12:55:18.155 > 4
12:55:18.367 > 5
12:55:18.570 > 6
12:55:18.772 > 7
12:55:18.973 > 8
12:55:19.174 > 9
12:55:19.376 > 10
The expected output is a TaskCanceledException to occur after number 5. It seems that I have misunderstood what the WithCancellation is actually doing. The method just passes the supplied token to the iterator method, if that method accepts one. Otherwise, like with the method GetSequence() in my example, the token is ignored. I suppose that the solution in my case is to interrogate manually the token inside the body of the enumeration:
var cts = new CancellationTokenSource(1000);
await foreach (var i in GetSequence())
{
cts.Token.ThrowIfCancellationRequested();
Console.WriteLine($"{DateTime.Now:HH:mm:ss.fff} > {i}");
}
This is simple and works well. But in any case I wonder if it would be possible to create an extension method that does what I expected the WithCancellation to do, to bake the token inside the ensuing enumeration. This is the signature of the needed method:
public static IAsyncEnumerable<T> WithEnforcedCancellation<T>(
this IAsyncEnumerable<T> source, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
{
// Is it possible?
}