How to configure FQDN in ovirt engine

Viewed 10288

I want to configure oVirt in Vultr bare metal server. But I don't know how to configure Engine VM FQDN. It always tell me The address proposed for this host does not resolves locally. There is error message: enter image description here

And I've already configure my /etc/hosts file. Here is my /etc/hosts code:

127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6

127.0.0.1 guest
::1       guest

127.0.0.1 VTest
::1       VTest
149.28.103.174 ovirt
127.0.0.2 test

I've tried FQDN guest,localhost,ovirt,localhost.localdomain. These all are not work. 149.28.103.174 is my public IP.

3 Answers

Red Hat RHEV documentation is saying:

Red Hat strongly recommends using DNS instead of the /etc/hosts file for name resolution. Using a hosts file typically requires more work and has a greater chance for errors.

ovirt is not a FQDN. engine.ovirt.yourdomain.com is an example for a fully qualified domain name.

So the answer is: use DNS to define your hostnames of the oVirt components and provide the engine setup with a FQDN not just a hostname.

In case you can't use DNS, you can add the information to the /etc/hosts file on every oVirt node. It should contain the ip and name of the engine, all nodes and possible addional services. See the example.

# centos 7 localhost config
127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4
::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6

# engine and nodes
192.168.30.3    engine.infra.yourdomain.com
192.168.30.10   node01.infra.yourdomain.com
192.168.30.11   node02.infra.yourdomain.com
192.168.30.12   node03.infra.yourdomain.com
192.168.30.13   node04.infra.yourdomain.com
192.168.30.14   node05.infra.yourdomain.com
192.168.30.15   node06.infra.yourdomain.com

# additional services
192.168.30.9    cinder.infra.yourdomain.com

There are two sources of documentation. The oVirt manuals are sometimes a bit sparse. The Red Hat RHEV manuals are much richer, although Red Hat biased.

I was running into the same issue myself. Eventually, I used a (sub) domain that was not pointing to my IP or entered in my Hosts and it that worked.

Related