I am trying to make my component reactive on updates. I am using componentDidUpdate() to check if the components prop state has changed, then if it has it is has I need the getPosts() function to be called and the postCount to update if that prop is changed.
export default class JsonFeed extends React.Component<IJsonFeedProps, IJsonFeedState> {
// Props & state needed for the component
constructor(props) {
super(props);
this.state = {
description: this.props.description,
posts: [],
isLoading: true,
jsonUrl: this.props.jsonUrl,
postCount: this.props.postCount,
errors: null,
error: null
};
}
// This function runs when a prop choice has been updated
componentDidUpdate() {
// Typical usage (don't forget to compare props):
if (this.state !== this.state) {
this.getPosts();
// something else ????
}
}
// This function runs when component is first renderd
public componentDidMount() {
this.getPosts();
}
// Grabs the posts from the json url
public getPosts() {
axios
.get("https://cors-anywhere.herokuapp.com/" + this.props.jsonUrl)
.then(response =>
response.data.map(post => ({
id: `${post.Id}`,
name: `${post.Name}`,
summary: `${post.Summary}`,
url: `${post.AbsoluteUrl}`
}))
)
.then(posts => {
this.setState({
posts,
isLoading: false
});
})
// We can still use the `.catch()` method since axios is promise-based
.catch(error => this.setState({ error, isLoading: false }));
}