As far as I understand, if I have a drawcall that in some way uses the results of any previous drawcall or writes to the same render target (framebuffer), then I need to make sure that the later drawcall sees the memory effects of all previous drawcalls.
But what about, when I am rendering a scene with a bunch of objects, each such object is one drawcall and all these drawcalls write to the same framebuffer.
Do I need to issue a memory barrier after every drawcall ?
For example Sascha Willem's pbrbasic example has this code (a bit simplified) and I do not see any pipelines barriers there:
VK_CHECK_RESULT(vkBeginCommandBuffer(drawCmdBuffers[i], &cmdBufInfo));
vkCmdBeginRenderPass(drawCmdBuffers[i], &renderPassBeginInfo, VK_SUBPASS_CONTENTS_INLINE);
VkViewport viewport = vks::initializers::viewport((float)width, (float)height, 0.0f, 1.0f);
vkCmdSetViewport(drawCmdBuffers[i], 0, 1, &viewport);
VkRect2D scissor = vks::initializers::rect2D(width, height, 0, 0);
vkCmdSetScissor(drawCmdBuffers[i], 0, 1, &scissor);
VkDeviceSize offsets[1] = { 0 };
vkCmdBindPipeline(drawCmdBuffers[i], VK_PIPELINE_BIND_POINT_GRAPHICS, pipeline);
vkCmdBindDescriptorSets(drawCmdBuffers[i], VK_PIPELINE_BIND_POINT_GRAPHICS, pipelineLayout, 0, 1, &descriptorSet, 0, NULL);
vkCmdBindVertexBuffers(drawCmdBuffers[i], VERTEX_BUFFER_BIND_ID, 1, &models.objects[models.objectIndex].vertices.buffer, offsets);
vkCmdBindIndexBuffer(drawCmdBuffers[i], models.objects[models.objectIndex].indices.buffer, 0, VK_INDEX_TYPE_UINT32);
Material mat = materials[materialIndex];
for (uint32_t y = 0; y < GRID_DIM; y++) {
for (uint32_t x = 0; x < GRID_DIM; x++) {
glm::vec3 pos = glm::vec3(float(x - (GRID_DIM / 2.0f)) * 2.5f, 0.0f, float(y - (GRID_DIM / 2.0f)) * 2.5f);
vkCmdPushConstants(drawCmdBuffers[i], pipelineLayout, VK_SHADER_STAGE_VERTEX_BIT, 0, sizeof(glm::vec3), &pos);
mat.params.metallic = glm::clamp((float)x / (float)(GRID_DIM - 1), 0.1f, 1.0f);
mat.params.roughness = glm::clamp((float)y / (float)(GRID_DIM - 1), 0.05f, 1.0f);
vkCmdPushConstants(drawCmdBuffers[i], pipelineLayout, VK_SHADER_STAGE_FRAGMENT_BIT, sizeof(glm::vec3), sizeof(Material::PushBlock), &mat);
vkCmdDrawIndexed(drawCmdBuffers[i], models.objects[models.objectIndex].indexCount, 1, 0, 0, 0);
}
}
drawUI(drawCmdBuffers[i]);
vkCmdEndRenderPass(drawCmdBuffers[i]);
VK_CHECK_RESULT(vkEndCommandBuffer(drawCmdBuffers[i]));
Are there any guarantees that drawcalls logically following after will see the memory effects of drawcalls logically before them ?
So the question is, when do I need to synchronize between different drawcalls ?