I'm trying to set up clang-tidy for enforcing naming conventions in a C project. This project is composed of multiple external sources and uses a plain makefile environment, thus no tool like cmake or bear is available to generate a compilation database.
This is also what I want: Using the custom environment I'd like to selectively invoke clang-tidy for each file that should be checked.
I was configuring the tool, mainly for the check readability-identifier-naming. For testing I have a .c and .h file, both in the same directory, with the following content:
dummy.c
#include "dummy.h"
#include "MISSING_module.h"
// EOF
dummy.h
#ifndef _DUMMY_H_
#define _DUMMY_H_
#include <stdlib.h>
// EOF
The command I'm invoking is
clang-tidy dummy.c -checks='-*,readability-identifier-naming' -- -DCMAKE_EXPORT_COMPILE_COMMANDS=ON`
However, clang-tidy is still following the #include within the C-file and checks for existing headers:
dummy.h:4:10: error: 'stdlib.h' file not found [clang-diagnostic-error]
#include <stdlib.h>
^
Found compiler error(s).
Is there any way to disable this? clang-diagnostic-error is not even enabled as check. Or are there alternative tools I should know of to enforce naming conventions?