From JPA documentation I can see that the AUTO is the default flush mode, flush should happen before any query execution. I have tried this on spring boot jpa and I can see the flush won't happen on queries from different entities , is that expected ? even though different entity may have relation to it ( Department <--> Person here )
The flush should trigger before any query according to this article : https://vladmihalcea.com/how-do-jpa-and-hibernate-define-the-auto-flush-mode/
// this triggers flush //
Person person = personRepository.findById(5L).get();
person.setName("hello test");
Person person1 = (Person) entityManager.createQuery("select person from Person
person where person.id=11").getSingleResult(); // flush before query
// this doesn't trigger flush even if the department has the person //
Person person = personRepository.findById(5L).get();
person.setName("hello test");
Department department= (Department) entityManager.createQuery("select
department from Department
department where department.id=1").getSingleResult();
Update:
I noticed the flush happens for JPQL queries on the same table only that has the DML , while for native sql queries it will always flush before any query if there is DML before. even though no flush happens the JPQL return the managed entity with modification not the one in DB. can anyone please explain if this follow JPA standard or not ?