I am writing some Monte Carlo code (Python 3.7) and I am unable to find out why I get different results with the same random seed.
I have narrowed down to the function at which I start getting variations in the random results for the same seed. I create an instance of rng = random.Random() to make sure the other imports are not interfering with the random.seed. I have also tested a sequence of random numbers with the imports I use (only third-party is numpy) and this does not seem to be the issue either. My code is not multi-threaded either.
I setup my rng by:
rng = random.Random()
rng.seed(123)
The variations are starting here at this function (also there seems to be a pattern to the variation it can be consistent for some runs and then vary for some runs - back and forth):
def create_self_avoiding_walk(radii, origin, rng, max_iterations=10000):
assert len(radii) > 0
previous_radii = radii[0]
previous_coords = origin
new_coord_map = np.zeros((len(radii), 3))
new_coord_map[0] = origin
for i, radius in enumerate(radii):
if i == 0:
continue
r = radius + previous_radii
for iteration in range(0, max_iterations):
theta = rng.uniform(0, 2 * np.pi)
z = rng.uniform(-r, r)
x = np.sqrt((r ** 2 - z ** 2)) * np.cos(theta)
y = np.sqrt((r ** 2 - z ** 2)) * np.sin(theta)
x += previous_coords[0]
y += previous_coords[1]
z += previous_coords[2]
proposed_coords = [x, y, z]
if coordinate_clash(np.array(proposed_coords), np.array(new_coord_map[:i]), radius, radii[:i]) is False:
new_coord_map[i] = [x, y, z]
previous_coords = [x, y, z]
break
if iteration == max_iterations - 1: # Was unable to find non-clashing structure
return np.array([])
return new_coord_map
coordinate_clash calls the following functions:
@overload(np.float64, np.float64, np.float64, np.float64, np.float64, np.float64, float, float)
def coordinate_clash(x1, y1, z1, x2, y2, z2, radius1, radius2):
return ((x1 - x2) ** 2) + ((y1 - y2) ** 2) + ((z1 - z2) ** 2) < (
(radius1 + radius2) ** 2) - 1e-15 # Float PRECISION
@overload(np.ndarray, np.ndarray, float, float)
def coordinate_clash(vec1, vec2, radius1, radius2):
return coordinate_clash(vec1[0], vec1[1], vec1[2], vec2[0], vec2[1], vec2[2], radius1, radius2)
@overload(np.ndarray, np.ndarray, float, list)
def coordinate_clash(vec1, mat, radius1, radii):
for row, radius_entry in zip(mat, radii):
if coordinate_clash(vec1, row, radius1, radius_entry):
return True
return False
Can anyone identify anything in the above code that would cause the random sequence to become inconsistent for the same seed?