I am new to android architecture components and I am trying to use LiveData and ViewModels with mvvm, repository pattern and retrofit. Referred to GitHubSample google gave in its architecture guide but want to simplify it little bit for my needs. Below is the code which I had so far but having below problems in completing it.
- onActive() method in LiveDataCallAdapter is not invoking at all
- Not able to figure out how I can get the response as a LiveData(I get this as null always) in SettingsData class? Ideally here I just want to have success and failure listener and I should get the data inside these blocks. All the generic network errors should already be handled before coming to this class. I am not able to figure out how to do this. 3.I do not want to call.enqueue in this SettingsData class which many examples shows
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
//Activity
private fun loadApplicationSettings() {
val settingsViewModel = ViewModelProviders.of(this).get(SettingsViewModel::class.java)
settingsViewModel.userApplicationSettings.observe(this, Observer<UserApplicationSettings> { userApplicationSettingsResult ->
Log.d("UserApplicationSettings", userApplicationSettingsResult.toString())
userSettingsTextView.text = userApplicationSettingsResult.isPushNotificationEnabled
})
}
//ViewModel
class SettingsViewModel : ViewModel() {
private var settingsRepository: SettingsRepository
lateinit var userApplicationSettings: LiveData<UserApplicationSettings>
init {
settingsRepository = SettingsRepository()
loadUserApplicationSettings()
}
private fun loadUserApplicationSettings() {
userApplicationSettings = settingsRepository.loadUserApplicationSettings()
}
}
//Repository
class SettingsRepository {
val settingsService = SettingsData()
fun loadUserApplicationSettings(): LiveData<UserApplicationSettings> {
return settingsService.getUserApplicationSettings()
}
}
//I do not want to do the network calls in repository, so created a seperate class gets the data from network call
class SettingsData {
val apiBaseProvider = ApiBaseProvider()
fun getUserApplicationSettings(): MutableLiveData<UserApplicationSettings> {
val userApplicationSettingsNetworkCall = apiBaseProvider.create().getApplicationSettings()
//Not sure how to get the data from userApplicationSettingsNetworkCall and convert it to livedata to give to repository
// deally here I just want to have success and failure listener and I should get the data inside these blocks. All the generic network errors should already be handled before coming to this class. I am not able to figure out how to do this.
val userApplicationSettingsData: LiveData<ApiResponse<UserApplicationSettings>> = userApplicationSettingsNetworkCall
//Thinking of having a success and fail block here and create a LiveData object to give to repository. Not sure how to do this
return userApplicationSettingsData
}
}
//Settings Service for retrofit
interface SettingsService {
@GET("url")
fun getApplicationSettings(): LiveData<ApiResponse<UserApplicationSettings>>
}
//Base provider of retrofit
class ApiBaseProvider {
fun create(): SettingsService {
val gson = GsonBuilder().setLenient().create()
val okHttpClient = createOkHttpClient()
val retrofit = Retrofit.Builder()
.addCallAdapterFactory(LiveDataCallAdapterFactory())
.addConverterFactory(GsonConverterFactory.create(gson))
.baseUrl("url")
.build()
return retrofit.create(SettingsService::class.java)
}
}
//
class LiveDataCallAdapterFactory : Factory() {
override fun get(
returnType: Type,
annotations: Array<Annotation>,
retrofit: Retrofit
): CallAdapter<*, *>? {
if (getRawType(returnType) != LiveData::class.java) {
return null
}
val observableType = getParameterUpperBound(0, returnType as ParameterizedType)
val rawObservableType = getRawType(observableType)
if (rawObservableType != ApiResponse::class.java) {
throw IllegalArgumentException("type must be a resource")
}
if (observableType !is ParameterizedType) {
throw IllegalArgumentException("resource must be parameterized")
}
val bodyType = getParameterUpperBound(0, observableType)
return LiveDataCallAdapter<Any>(bodyType)
}
}
//Custom adapter that does the network call
class LiveDataCallAdapter<T>(private val responseType: Type) : CallAdapter<T, LiveData<ApiResponse<T>>> {
override fun responseType(): Type {
return responseType
}
override fun adapt(call: Call<T>): LiveData<ApiResponse<T>> {
return object : LiveData<ApiResponse<T>>() {
override fun onActive() {
super.onActive()
call.enqueue(object : Callback<T> {
override fun onResponse(call: Call<T>, response: Response<T>) {
println("testing response: " + response.body())
postValue(ApiResponse.create(response))
}
override fun onFailure(call: Call<T>, throwable: Throwable) {
postValue(ApiResponse.create(throwable))
}
})
}
}
}
}
//I want to make this class as a generic class to do all the network success and error handling and then pass the final response back
/**
* Common class used by API responses.
* @param <T> the type of the response object
</T> */
sealed class ApiResponse<T> {
companion object {
fun <T> create(error: Throwable): ApiErrorResponse<T> {
return ApiErrorResponse(error.message ?: "unknown error")
}
fun <T> create(response: Response<T>): ApiResponse<T> {
println("testing api response in create")
return if (response.isSuccessful) {
val body = response.body()
if (body == null || response.code() == 204) {
ApiEmptyResponse()
} else {
ApiSuccessResponse(
body = body
)
}
} else {
val msg = response.errorBody()?.string()
val errorMsg = if (msg.isNullOrEmpty()) {
response.message()
} else {
msg
}
ApiErrorResponse(errorMsg ?: "unknown error")
}
}
}
}
/**
* separate class for HTTP 204 responses so that we can make ApiSuccessResponse's body non-null.
*/
class ApiEmptyResponse<T> : ApiResponse<T>()
data class ApiErrorResponse<T>(val errorMessage: String) : ApiResponse<T>()
data class ApiSuccessResponse<T>(
val body: T
) : ApiResponse<T>() {
}