Can I use command substitution in git bash?

Viewed 380

I love Git Bash because it puts all the powerful tools on a CLI for windows. I'm trying to use it with openssl to generate a csr and key at the same time. And, I'd like to do it all in one command. Here's what I have so far:

openssl req -new -sha256 \
    -newkey ec:<(openssl ecparam -name prime256v1) -keyout site.key \
    -batch -out site.csr -utf8 \
    -subj '//C=US\ST=State\L=City\O=organization\OU=org unit\CN=site.com\emailAddress=admin@site.com' \
    -addext 'subjectAltName=DNS:site.com,DNS:www.site.com'

My problem is that git bash doesn't handle the command substitution properly (or I'm doing it wrong). When I run the above, I get

Can't open parameter file /dev/fd/63
15160:error:02001003:system library:fopen:No such process:../openssl-1.1.1a/crypto/bio/bss_file.c:72:fopen('/dev/fd/63','r')
15160:error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file:../openssl-1.1.1a/crypto/bio/bss_file.c:79:

According to the manual,

All other algorithms support the -newkey alg:file form, where file may be an algorithm parameter file, created by the genpkey -genparam command...

so, I think I'm looking to feed it a file after ec:, I'm just not sure how. (btw, I took direction from this answer. Although it's written for standard bash, I was hoping it would work.)

0 Answers
Related