I try to get the name of a class method on runtime which is passed to a templated class method. I would like to know the name for better trace output.
The question results from the question that I asked before: Templated wrapper method for other class methods
I tried to get the name by adding
typeid(func).name()
But the result is not really satisfying because the name of the function is always printed as a *, see the examples below.
I also tried different compilers (msvc, gcc) and demangle options (abi::__cxa_demangle), but the result is always more or less the same.
#include <algorithm>
#include <functional>
#include <iostream>
class A
{
public:
void foo(int x) {
std::cout << "Foo: " << x << std::endl;
}
void bar(int x, float y) {
std::cout << "Bar: " << x << ", " << y << std::endl;
}
};
class B
{
public:
void fooAndMore(int x) {
foobarWrapper(&A::foo, x);
}
void barAndMore(int x, float y) {
foobarWrapper(&A::bar, x, y);
}
template<typename T, typename... Args>
void foobarWrapper(T func, Args&&... args)
{
std::cout << "Start!" << std::endl;
auto funcName = typeid(func).name();
std::cout << "Functionname: " << funcName << std::endl;
auto caller = std::mem_fn( func);
caller( A(), args...);
std::cout << "End!" << std::endl;
}
};
int main()
{
B b;
b.fooAndMore(1);
b.barAndMore(2, 3.5f);
}
I expected something like that:
Start!
Functionname: void (__thiscall A::foo)(int)
Foo: 1
End!
Start!
Functionname: void (__thiscall A::bar)(int,float)
Bar: 2, 3.5
End!
Actual results:
Start!
Functionname: void (__thiscall A::*)(int)
Foo: 1
End!
Start!
Functionname: void (__thiscall A::*)(int,float)
Bar: 2, 3.5
End!
Is it possible to get the real name of the passed function?
Thank you in advance!