I am trying to create a function to copy an array into another using pointers. I'd like to add the following condition : if the array of destination is smaller, the loop must break.
So basically it's working, but it is not working if I intilize the the destination array as follows :
int dest_array[10] = {0};
From what I understand it fills the array with int 0's which are equivalent to '\0' (null characters). So here is my question :
In this case how can the computer know the array size or when it ends ?
(And how do I compare arrays passed as parameters ?)
void copy(int *src_arr, int *dest_arr)
{
// The advantage of using pointers is that you don't need to provide the source array's size
// I can't use sizeof to compare the sizes of the arrays because it does not work on parameters.
// It returns the size of the pointer to the array and not of of the whole array
int* ptr1;
int* ptr2;
for( ptr1 = source, ptr2 = dest_arr ;
*ptr1 != '\0' ;
ptr1++, ptr2++ )
{
if(!*ptr2) // Problem here if dest_arr full of 0's
{
printf("Copy interrupted :\n" +
"Destination array is too small");
break;
}
*ptr2 = *ptr1;
}