How do I access a MinIO storage bucket from a Jupyter Pyspark notebook?

Viewed 2595

I have instances of MinIO and Jupyter Pyspark notebook running locally on separate docker containers. I am able to use the minio Python package to view buckets and objects in MinIO, however when I try to load a parquet from a bucket using Pyspark I get the below:

Code:

salesDF_path = 's3a://{}:{}/data/sales/example.parquet'.format(host, port)
df = spark.read.load(salesDF_path)

Error:

Py4JJavaError: An error occurred while calling o22.load.
: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Class org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AFileSystem not found
    at org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getClass(Configuration.java:2195)
    at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.getFileSystemClass(FileSystem.java:2654)
    at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.createFileSystem(FileSystem.java:2667)
    at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.access$200(FileSystem.java:94)
    at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem$Cache.getInternal(FileSystem.java:2703)
    at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem$Cache.get(FileSystem.java:2685)
    at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.get(FileSystem.java:373)
    at org.apache.hadoop.fs.Path.getFileSystem(Path.java:295)
    at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.DataSource$$anonfun$org$apache$spark$sql$execution$datasources$DataSource$$checkAndGlobPathIfNecessary$1.apply(DataSource.scala:547)
    at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.DataSource$$anonfun$org$apache$spark$sql$execution$datasources$DataSource$$checkAndGlobPathIfNecessary$1.apply(DataSource.scala:545)
    at scala.collection.TraversableLike$$anonfun$flatMap$1.apply(TraversableLike.scala:241)
    at scala.collection.TraversableLike$$anonfun$flatMap$1.apply(TraversableLike.scala:241)
    at scala.collection.immutable.List.foreach(List.scala:392)
    at scala.collection.TraversableLike$class.flatMap(TraversableLike.scala:241)
    at scala.collection.immutable.List.flatMap(List.scala:355)
    at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.DataSource.org$apache$spark$sql$execution$datasources$DataSource$$checkAndGlobPathIfNecessary(DataSource.scala:545)
    at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.DataSource.resolveRelation(DataSource.scala:359)
    at org.apache.spark.sql.DataFrameReader.loadV1Source(DataFrameReader.scala:223)
    at org.apache.spark.sql.DataFrameReader.load(DataFrameReader.scala:211)
    at org.apache.spark.sql.DataFrameReader.load(DataFrameReader.scala:178)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
    at py4j.reflection.MethodInvoker.invoke(MethodInvoker.java:244)
    at py4j.reflection.ReflectionEngine.invoke(ReflectionEngine.java:357)
    at py4j.Gateway.invoke(Gateway.java:282)
    at py4j.commands.AbstractCommand.invokeMethod(AbstractCommand.java:132)
    at py4j.commands.CallCommand.execute(CallCommand.java:79)
    at py4j.GatewayConnection.run(GatewayConnection.java:238)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Class org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AFileSystem not found
    at org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getClassByName(Configuration.java:2101)
    at org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getClass(Configuration.java:2193)
    ... 30 more

I'm trying to write a script that spins up these containers, runs some tests, then tears them down. Is there some configuration that I need to include somewhere?

3 Answers

Please follow next steps:

relevant aws jars

Make sure you have installed following jars:

You can run your pyspark application something like:

pyspark --jars "aws-java-sdk-1.7.4.jar,hadoop-aws-2.7.3 (or from a docker CMD)

Inside the notebook, configure 'hadoop configuration'

sc._jsc.hadoopConfiguration().set("fs.s3a.access.key", "access_key")
sc._jsc.hadoopConfiguration().set("fs.s3a.secret.key", "secret_key")
sc._jsc.hadoopConfiguration().set("fs.s3a.proxy.host", "minio")
sc._jsc.hadoopConfiguration().set("fs.s3a.endpoint", "minio")
sc._jsc.hadoopConfiguration().set("fs.s3a.proxy.port", "9000")
sc._jsc.hadoopConfiguration().set("fs.s3a.path.style.access", "true")
sc._jsc.hadoopConfiguration().set("fs.s3a.connection.ssl.enabled", "false")
sc._jsc.hadoopConfiguration().set("fs.s3a.impl", "org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a.S3AFileSystem")

Please check s3a client configuration to a full list of params

Now should be able to query data from minio, for example:

sc.textFile("s3a://<file path>")

Related