Visual Studio 2019 - Move tab via keyboard

Viewed 1421

In VSCode it's possible to reorder/move the select tab with a keyboard shortcut (workbench.action.moveEditorLeftInGroup).

But I can't figure out the name of the command to do this in VS2019.

Is it even possible in Visual Studio?

Demo-Video

3 Answers

You can move tabs with my Tabs Studio extension. Assigning keyboard shortcuts to MoveTabLeft and MoveTabRight commands in the Navigator add-in.

This is what I found from trying other attempts

  1. Gather Confidence!

  2. Visual Studio Search; 'Ctrl + Q' a. type: "shortcuts" b. select: { abbreviation: "and keyboard shortcuts", relevantHierarchyShown: [ "Environment", "Keyboard" ]}, c. image: VS Search & "shortcut" search term with auto suggestion 3. Find Window.NextTab & Window.PreviousTab a. The current "Global" shortcuts for these are: [

    {
      command: "Window.NextTab", 
      shortcuts: [{
          shortcut: "Ctrl+Alt+PgDn",
          type: "Global"
        }],
    },
    {
      command: "Window.PreviousTab",
      shortcuts: [{
        shortcut: "Ctrl+Alt+PgUp",
        type: "Global"
      }],
    }
    

visual studio: shortcut settings

  1. BrowserTab shortcut: Ctrl+PgDn & Ctrl+PgUp

    a. This -according to the docs page w/shortcuts- is already a backup or alternate shortcut- though I did not see it in the dropdown as an existing shortcut for Window.NextTab|PreviousTab.

    a1. But when I tried to use it as a global shortcut: it doesn't appear to cut through other commands for 'page up'/'page down' when inside of the text editor when I added the shorter shortcut from the browser;

    b. 'Ctrl+{PgDn|PgUp}' vs 'Ctrl+Alt+{PgDn|PgUp}: I'm sticking with VisualStudio's Default of 'Ctrl+Alt+{PgDn|PgUp}' because:

    a. its only one extra key from the familiar browser shortcut.

    b. I also attempted to execute "Window.NextTabandAdtoSelection" with 'Ctrl+Alt+Shift+{PgDn|PgUp}'
    but didn't quite see that work- I figured it would select multiple
    tabs, but not sure

    i. link: visualstudio/ide/default-keyboard-shortcuts-in-visual-studio?view=vs-2019

Oops, misread.

There are commands available to move to another document group (eg. Window.MovetoNextTabGroup), but likely not to rearrange within a tab group or to create another tab group.

It might be possible to add this functionality with an extension.

Note, often the order of tabs in a group is separately controlled – eg. the (sadly not supported in VS2019) Custom Document Well extension.


I don't think any keys are mapped by default, but I routinely remap ctrl-PageUp and ctrl-PageDown to Window.PreviousTab and Window.NextTab respectively.

Related