I'm trying to recreate an old flash game in React. The object of the game is to press a button down for a certain length of time.
This is the old game: http://www.zefrank.com/everysecond/index.html
Here is my new React implementation: https://codesandbox.io/s/github/inspectordanno/every_second
I'm running into a problem. When the mouse is released, I calculate the amount of time between when the button was pressed and when it was released, using the Moment.js time library. If the timeDifference between the onMouseDown and onMouseUp event is within the targetTime, I want the game level to increase and the targetTime to increase as well.
I'm implementing this logic in the handleMouseUp event handler. I'm getting the expected times printed to the screen, but the logic isn't working. In addition, when I console.log() the times, they are different than the ones being printed to the screen. I'm fairly certain timeHeld and timeDifference aren't being updated correctly.
Initially I thought there was a problem with the way I was doing the event handler and I need to use useRef() or useCallback(), but after browsing a few other questions I don't understand these well enough to know if I have to use them in this situation. Since I don't need access to the previous state, I don't think I need to use them, right?
The game logic is in this wrapper component:
import React, { useState } from 'react';
import moment from 'moment';
import Button from './Button';
import Level from './Level';
import TargetTime from './TargetTime';
import TimeIndicator from './TimeIndicator';
import Tries from './Tries';
const TimerApp = () => {
const [level, setLevel] = useState(1);
const [targetTime, setTargetTime] = useState(.2);
const [isPressed, setIsPressed] = useState(false);
const [whenPressed, setPressed] = useState(moment());
const [whenReleased, setReleased] = useState(moment());
const [tries, setTries] = useState(3);
const [gameStarted, setGameStarted] = useState(false);
const [gameOver, setGameOver] = useState(false);
const timeHeld = whenReleased.diff(whenPressed) / 1000;
let timeDifference = Math.abs(targetTime - timeHeld);
timeDifference = Math.round(1000 * timeDifference) / 1000; //rounded
const handleMouseDown = () => {
!gameStarted && setGameStarted(true); //initialize game on the first click
setIsPressed(true);
setPressed(moment());
};
const handleMouseUp = () => {
setIsPressed(false);
setReleased(moment());
console.log(timeHeld);
console.log(timeDifference);
if (timeDifference <= .1) {
setLevel(level + 1);
setTargetTime(targetTime + .2);
} else if (timeDifference > .1 && tries >= 1) {
setTries(tries - 1);
}
if (tries === 1) {
setGameOver(true);
}
};
return (
<div>
<Level level={level}/>
<TargetTime targetTime={targetTime} />
<Button handleMouseDown={handleMouseDown} handleMouseUp={handleMouseUp} isGameOver={gameOver} />
<TimeIndicator timeHeld={timeHeld} timeDifference={timeDifference} isPressed={isPressed} gameStarted={gameStarted} />
<Tries tries={tries} />
{gameOver && <h1>Game Over!</h1>}
</div>
)
}
export default TimerApp;
If you want to check the whole app please refer to the sandbox.