I have a BSON file that comes from a mongoexport of a database. Let's assume the database is todo and the collection is items. Now I want to load the data offline into my RN app. Since the collection may contain arbitrarily many documents (lets say 2 currently), I want to use a method to parse the file however many documents it contains.
I have tried the following methods:
- Use external
bsondumpexecutable.
We can convert the file to JSON using a external command
bsondump --outFile items.json items.bson
But I am developing a mobile app, so invoking a third-party executable in shell command is not ideal. Plus, the output contains several lines of one-line JSON objects, so the output is technically not a correct JSON file. So parsing afterwards is not graceful.
- Use
deserializeinjs-bsonlibrary
According to the js-bson documentation, we can do
const bson = require('bson')
const fs = require('fs')
bson.deserialize(fs.readFileSync(PATH_HERE))
But this raises an error
Error: buffer length 173 must === bson size 94
and by adding this option,
bson.deserialize(fs.readFileSync(PATH_HERE), {
allowObjectSmallerThanBufferSize: true
})
the error is resolved but only returns the first document. Because the documentation doesn't mention that this function can only parse 1-document collection, I wonder if there is some option that enables multiple document reading.
- Use
deserializeStreaminjs-bson
let docs = []
bson.deserializeStream(fs.readFileSync(PATH_HERE), 0, 2, docs, 0)
But this methods requires a parameter of the document count (2 here).
- Use
bson-streamlibrary
I am actually using react-native-fetch-blob instead of fs, and according to their documentation, the stream object does not have a pipe method, which is the one-and-only method demonstrated in bson-stream doc. So although this method does not require the number of documents, I am confused how to use it.
// fs
const BSONStream = require('bson-stream');
fs.createReadStream(PATH_HERE).pipe(new BSONStream()).on('data', callback);
// RNFetchBlob
const RNFetchBlob = require('react-native-fetch-blob');
RNFetchBlob.fs.readStream(PATH_HERE, ENCODING)
.then(stream => {
stream.open();
stream.can_we_pipe_here(new BSONStream())
stream.onData(callback)
});
Also I'm not sure about the above ENCODING above.