Android In App Updates - Not able to detect the update in AppUpdateInfo

Viewed 4755

Some log statements are thrown when we use,

Task<AppUpdateInfo> appUpdateInfoTask = appUpdateManager.getAppUpdateInfo();
appUpdateInfoTask.addOnSuccessListener(appUpdateInfo -> {
2019-06-13 18:30:40.556 28375-28375/com.marsplay.debug I/PlayCore: UID: [10312]  PID: [28375] AppUpdateService : requestUpdateInfo(<"package name here">)
2019-06-13 18:30:40.556 28375-28584/com.marsplay.debug I/PlayCore: UID: [10312]  PID: [28375] AppUpdateService : Initiate binding to the service.
2019-06-13 18:30:40.560 28375-28375/com.marsplay.debug I/PlayCore: UID: [10312]  PID: [28375] AppUpdateService : ServiceConnectionImpl.onServiceConnected(ComponentInfo{com.android.vending/com.google.android.finsky.installservice.DevTriggeredUpdateService})
2019-06-13 18:30:40.560 28375-28584/com.marsplay.debug I/PlayCore: UID: [10312]  PID: [28375] AppUpdateService : linkToDeath
2019-06-13 18:30:40.564 28375-28389/com.marsplay.debug I/PlayCore: UID: [10312]  PID: [28375] OnRequestInstallCallback : onRequestInfo
2019-06-13 18:30:40.564 28375-28584/com.marsplay.debug I/PlayCore: UID: [10312]  PID: [28375] AppUpdateService : Unbind from service.

I've made sure -

  • My signing keys are the same as uploaded in play store, as I can sign in facebook and other auths methods + I've verified myself.
  • The Google play google shows in My apps and games tab, with an UPDATE button showing up.
  • Application ID is the same
  • I've downloaded from the Play Google numberous times.
  • I've tried in the Internal Test track and a closed beta release

EDIT: Also I've tried to run the app from adb install, or trying to install from google play and after that deploying aab on the play google.

3 Answers

I had to force quit the play store then reopen it for it to work

It could be also that your Android distro doesn't support in app updates I'm debugging on a phone running Android GO and when debugging , the following line was faiing as It's not supported on the Android system appUpdateInfoTask.addOnSuccessListener(appUpdateInfo ->

The accepted answer didn't help, but going into the current apps update screen in Google Play worked.

I assume update checks are done infrequently but you are perhaps able to "force" a real check this way (or update the cached Play response)

Related