How to update the content of an existing yaml file with Pipeline Utility Steps plugin

Viewed 6762

In my jenkins pipeline I am reading data stored in yaml file using Pipeline Utility Steps plugin

I can read data from file, now I want to update the value and write it back to the file, like this:

pipeline {
agent any

stages {

    stage('JOb B ....'){
        steps{
            script{
               def datas = readYaml file:"${WORKSPACE}/Version.yml"
               echo datas.MAJOR_VERSION //output is 111

               datas = ['MAJOR_VERSION': '222']
               writeYaml file:"${WORKSPACE}/Version.yml", data: datas
            }
        }//steps
    }//stage

}//stages

}//pipeline

But I am getting error - Version.yml already exist:

java.nio.file.FileAlreadyExistsException: /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/t-cicd-swarm-example_hdxts-job-B/Version.yml already exist.
at org.jenkinsci.plugins.pipeline.utility.steps.conf.WriteYamlStep$Execution.run(WriteYamlStep.java:175)
at org.jenkinsci.plugins.pipeline.utility.steps.conf.WriteYamlStep$Execution.run(WriteYamlStep.java:159)
at org.jenkinsci.plugins.workflow.steps.SynchronousNonBlockingStepExecution.lambda$start$0(SynchronousNonBlockingStepExecution.java:47)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Finished: FAILURE

It seems it can only write a new file and it cannot overwrite the existing file. How to update the content of an existing yaml file from my script shown above?

2 Answers

It looks like you need to delete or rename the original file before you overwrite it because the writeYaml method doesn't have an overwrite flag.

sh '''
  if [ -e Version.yaml ]; then
    rm -f Version.yaml
  fi
'''
Related