I'm working on a Python Apache Beam job with session windowing on a bounded dataset. It works for small datasets, but the job dies when I increase the size of input data.
The job ID is 2019-06-10_07_28_32-2942508228086251217.
elements = (p | 'IngestData' >> beam.io.Read(big_query_source))
elements | 'AddEventTimestamp' >> beam.ParDo(AddTimestampDoFn()) \
| 'SessionWindow' >> beam.WindowInto(window.Sessions(10 * 60)) \
| 'CreateTuple' >> beam.Map(lambda row: (row['id'], {'attribute1': row['attribute1'], 'date': row['date']})) \
| 'GroupById1' >> beam.GroupByKey() \
| 'AggregateSessions' >> beam.ParDo(AggregateTransactions()) \
| 'MergeWindows' >> beam.WindowInto(window.GlobalWindows()) \
| 'GroupById2' >> beam.GroupByKey() \
| 'MapSessionsToLists' >> beam.Map(lambda x: (x[0], [y for y in x[1]])) \
| 'BiggestSession' >> beam.ParDo(MaximumSession()) \
| "PrepForWrite" >> beam.Map(lambda x: x[1].update({"id": x[0]}) or x[1]) \
| 'WriteResult' >> WriteToText(known_args.output)
With the DoFn classes being
class AddTimestampDoFn(beam.DoFn):
def process(self, element):
date = datetime.datetime.strptime(element['date'][:-4], '%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S.%f')
unix_timestamp = float(date.strftime('%s'))
yield beam.window.TimestampedValue(element, unix_timestamp)
class AggregateTransactions(beam.DoFn):
def process(self, element, window=beam.DoFn.WindowParam):
session_count = len(element[1])
attributes = list(map(lambda row: row['attribute1'], element[1]))
std = np.std(amounts)
return [(element[0], {'session_count': session_count, 'session_std': std, 'window_start': window.start
.to_utc_datetime()
.strftime('%d-%b-%Y %H:%M:%S')})]
class MaximumSession(beam.DoFn):
def process(self, element):
sorted_counts = sorted(element[1], key = lambda x: x['session_count'], reverse=True)
return [(element[0], {'session_count': sorted_counts[0]['session_count'],
'session_std': sorted_counts[0]['session_std'],
'window_start_time': sorted_counts[0]['window_start']})]
The job fails and gives me this error: The job failed because a work item has failed 4 times. Look in previous log entries for the cause of each one of the 4 failures. For more information, see https://cloud.google.com/dataflow/docs/guides/common-errors. The work item was attempted on these workers:
The particular worker logs on stackdriver aren't suggestive of anything. I'm just getting a combination of these entries:
processing lull for over 431.44 seconds in state process-msecs in step s5
Refusing to split <dataflow_worker.shuffle.GroupedShuffleRangeTracker object at 0x7f82e970cbd0> at '\n\xaaG\t\x00\x01': proposed split position is out of range
Retry with exponential backoff: waiting for 4.69305060273 seconds before retrying lease_work because we caught exception: SSLError: ('The read operation timed out',)
The rest of the entries are informational.
The latest memory usage was 43413 MB for that particular worker. Since I'm using n1-highmem-32 machines, I don't think that memory could be an issue here.
On client side, Cloud Shell, where I'm triggering this job, I just got a lot of
INFO:oauth2client.transport:Refreshing due to a 401 (attempt 1/2)
INFO:oauth2client.transport:Refreshing due to a 401 (attempt 2/2)
INFO:oauth2client.transport:Refreshing due to a 401 (attempt 1/2)
INFO:oauth2client.transport:Refreshing due to a 401 (attempt 1/2)
INFO:oauth2client.transport:Refreshing due to a 401 (attempt 2/2)
INFO:oauth2client.transport:Refreshing due to a 401 (attempt 2/2)
INFO:oauth2client.transport:Refreshing due to a 401 (attempt 1/2)
INFO:oauth2client.transport:Refreshing due to a 401 (attempt 2/2)
before the job crashed.
Any ideas?
Thanks