Pytest mocker patch Attribute:Error 'function' object has no attribute 'patch'

Viewed 11442

I'm trying to mock another method I've created using mocker.patch.object. However I get the AttributeError. New to using mocker but haven't seen an example that can help with this condition.

Tried different ways of calling the method from mocker.

within tests/test_unit.py

from pytest_mock import mocker

class TestApp:

 def setup_method(self):
        self.obj = ClassApi()

 def test_class_api_method(self, client):

        return_value = {'name': 'test'}
        mocker.patch.object(self.obj, 'method_to_mock')
        mocker.result(return_value)

within project/services

class ClassApi:

       def method_to_mock(self, input1):
         ...
        return result

AttributeError: 'function' object has no attribute 'patch'

1 Answers

I'm not super familiar with Pytest-Mock but based on a look at the docs you should be using mocker as a fixture. So you function should look like this:

 def test_class_api_method(self, client, mocker):

        return_value = {'name': 'test'}
        mocker.patch.object(self.obj, 'method_to_mock')
        mocker.result(return_value)

pytest automatically provides the argument mocker to the test function when it is run so there is no need to import it.

Related